Contact UsSearch
Click for Search Instructions
Home > Learning Resources > Glossary


The death, resignation or disqualification of a member of parliament creates a casual vacancy in the chamber.  At present, such vacancies in the legislative assembly can be filled by holding a special election called a by-election in the electoral district whose seat has become vacant.  Some electoral systems do not require by-elections to fill vacancies but use some other procedure specified by the constitution or the electoral rules .
© 2003 Citizens' Assembly on Electoral ReformSite powered by levelCMSSite Map | Privacy Policy